Thursday, May 28, 2009

Waiting time

I have been noticing a theme in my life. It seems to continue to pop up from time to time. This theme is waiting. Waiting to get married (Our engagement was a smidgen long). Waiting for a job for Adam when he laid off. Waiting to become pregnant. Waiting to adopt. Waiting for the job transfer. Waiting on selling the house. Waiting to hear about layoffs. Those are just the big things in the past few years. I know there are more. Seasons of waiting are pretty prominent for me I guess. I know there are many others who suffer from this same phenomenon, some worse. Amazingly I am at peace through the current waiting out the layoffs.

My mom has asked me how I can stand it. She had been through a similar time in the early 80's. My dad was in oil when the bust happened. So they spent week after week waiting to hear if dad was laid off. To make matters more "interesting" she was a stay at home mom (with me). Hmmm Sounds familular. I only explination is that I am resting on the promises from the Bible. My love letter from God. He has blessed me with abundant peace!

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. Romans 5:1-5

Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you. 2 Thessalonians 3:15-17


I have been bombarded with these promises as I read my bible. He has a reason for this season. and in the end I know we will grow to become more like Christ. Because of one of my times of waiting I have been able to come along side a close friend and encourage her through her struggle of waiting on God's perfect timing.

Now I am not saying there are not times I wrestle with having to wait. I have thown my share of fits. "Why not now? When? Why are we not 'the ones? 'Why move us here, just to possibly move us a few months later?" Agh! I could go on the the whys, whens, and it's-not-fairs I have prayed (whined) to God. Now I rest on the fact that I am diffrent person now. My character has changed and I have grown to be a better person.

1 comment:

Marc, Sarah, Luke, and Kate said...

Hey Kelly -- I too have waited, and I too continue to wait. But, I agree with you. I think that God too has shaped my character. I know that all the waiting I've done has been a good thing. God always sees that -- what He is shaping us to be in the long haul. Happy waiting!