Monday, June 8, 2009

My town!

Hmmm... I guess I am going to continue this Monday tradition. Honestly I am kind of bummed about probably moving, but then I guess I will have a new town to learn about! now for today's topic. The Booth Theater:


We discovered this little treasure while walking around down town one evening. We had seen it on our stay before we moved here. When we took a closer look we noticed this flyer.

It gave the following history:

The Booth Theater opened 1927 as the only theatre in Independence to be designed specifically to show motion pictures. It was owned by Thomas Booth and designed by the Boller Brothers architecture firm. With seating of 1,100, the Booth opened to a standing room only crowd.

The Booth Theater was in operation until April 20, 1980.

A church congregation purchased the theatre and used it for services until 1987.

The Booth Theater Foundation was established in 1991 for the purpose of preserving, restoring and operating the theatre as a performing arts and m
otion picture playhouse.

The Booth Theater was listed on the national register of Historic Places on October 13, 1988.

Reconstruction began in 2007.

OK enough history... Here are some fun pictures of the ticket booth.


I love the detail!

I wish I could have got pictures of the inside. It looked awesome.

I am pretty sure had we stayed longer I would probably see about helping with reconstruction or something. We love places like this. We are big supporters of reconstructing history when we were in Wichita we loved the Orpheum.

1 comment:

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

What a pretty building!

And those monster cookies below. YEAH!