Thursday, February 11, 2010

Recipe: Taco Soup


I made this delicious concoction a few nights ago!  Adam and I loved it.  Naomi was not so sure.  She did use it as a dip for her quesadillas though.  Anyway...The recipe...(I didn't exactly follow a specific recipe. So here is a rough guess of how I made this delicious soup.

 Taco Soup
  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef (or turkey)
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion (or a large amount of dried minced onion)
  • 1 (16 ounce) can chopped stewed tomatoes, with juice
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans with liquid
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 frozen corn (caned would work too)
  • 1 package taco seasoning mix (I have a large jar and I put more than a "package amount" when I made it.  But we like a lot of flavor and spice)
  • 1 can water
In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook ground beef and onion until meat is evenly brown; drain excess fat.(I think Adam added some powered garlic to the meat as well)

Mix in tomatoes,black beans, tomato sauce, corn, and taco seasoning mix. Add one can of water (you can add more if you want a thinner soup Adam prefers very thick soup).  Cover, and simmer about 15 minutes (or longer if desired).

Serve with sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips.

For our chips, I took a few tortillas tore them up and baked them on a cookie sheet at 350 until lightly browned. (I think 5-10 minutes).

This was a warm and tasty meal on a cold and snowy day!  Enjoy

No comments: