So I am going to do things a bit backwards. I realize I have not posted any of the birthday excitement. I promise this will come. I am going to post Monday now (Sunday night)because it is shorter and not as involved. My parents are still in town and I have a lot to do before I get to bed and I am not sure how much free time I will get tomorrow! So here it goes.
I came across this little island while we were at the Zoo on Friday.

Then I saw this. (There is a monkey in the tree)

Soon I came a cross this sign.

It says: Home of Miss Able The first space Monkey. Born in this Zoo December 1957. Independence, KS. Passed through Space on 28 May 1959 in the NASA Jupiter Rocket at 10,000mph and 300 miles altitude.
The sign goes on to give the history of "monkey Island and the importance of research for a "modern" Zoo. So Indy is the home of the first space monkey! Neat!
2 comments:
Wow! Impressive! I didn't even think Independence would be big enough to have a zoo, let alone a mega important monkey island. But somehow monkey island does ring a bell....
It is a little zoo. It has some monkeys, tortoises,some pythons, a fox, some buffalo, Etc. "Today the zoo features a greater variety of animals, many are small and most are grazers. All are compatible with the Kansas climate and with the zoo's limited budget."that was from the web site.
Post a Comment